Food is Love, Love is Food.

A blog devoted to the connection between meals, memories and the special moments in our lives.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Pumpkin Bread: Home is Where Your Story Begins

I have been a working mother for just about as long as I have been a mother. I returned to my teaching career when each of my daughters was eight months old, which, I realize, is a longer maternity leave than most. In addition, as a teacher, I have had regular breaks in the forms of school vacations and summers off (excuse me if I chose well, people!). And yet, I have experienced what many refer to as ‘working mother’s guilt,’ especially when my children were younger.



While both girls were in elementary school, I would wake them up a little early, so as to have time to spend with them in the morning before we all went off to school, me leaving earlier than they, my husband getting them off in the morning on the school bus. I once saw a sign that proclaimed: “Home is where your story begins,” and I knew that to be true not only for the long term, but for each day as well. I wanted the morning routine to be a peaceful one, starting their day off with a little song, a little chatting together, a nice breakfast, a warm hug before setting out. With limited time in the morning, I needed something quick and easy to serve for breakfast, so I would have the time to sit and be with my girls. I also wanted something healthy and delicious. So, I developed a couple of quick bread recipes, which could be made in advance, would last for a few days, were healthy and enjoyable for the whole family. The following recipe for Pumpkin Bread is my go-to breakfast. It is a dense and moist bread, filled with fiber, low in fat and sugar, and still yummy. I use whole oats and oat or spelt flour for a little boost in nutrition, but you can substitute any whole-grain flour you have on hand. If you choose to use whole wheat flour, I would go half and half with all purpose flour so that the bread is not too heavy. Toasted and spread with a little cream cheese, paired with some sliced strawberries, it feels like a treat, but is totally sound nutrition. It always makes me feel like I am sending my children into the world with something warm, homemade, and delicious in their tummies, and helps to alleviate that working mother’s guilt!



Pumpkin Bread

1 cup sugar
1 cup applesauce
4 eggs
1 14 ½ oz can of pumpkin
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
1 cup whole rolled oats
2 cups oat flour (or spelt flour)
½ cup milled flax seed
2 tsp. baking soda
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup water
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional

Put all ingredients in a large bowl, and mix well. Pour into two well-greased loaf pans, and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment