Food is Love, Love is Food.

A blog devoted to the connection between meals, memories and the special moments in our lives.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Good Morning Sunshine: Sour Cream Pancakes

When my daughters were young, I thought that parenthood was at its most difficult. There were late nights, early mornings, and sometimes feedings in between. There were ear infections, bouts of crying, spitting up, and of course, diapers. I thought that when my girls were older, it would be easier to be a parent. Certainly, that is true physically. We all sleep through the night now, happily. When the girls are sick, they can tell us what is wrong. For the most part, their physical needs can be taken care of pretty easily. Now, though, they have social activities, sports, academic challenges. Over the last two weeks, we have had 2 evening orchestra concerts, a soccer practice for each of my daughters each week, a field trip for one child, a field trip for my school from which I didn’t get home until 11 PM, in addition to weekend soccer games, planting our garden, laundry, grocery shopping, and all the other stuff that comes with having a house, kids, family and dogs. Needless to say, I am always looking for ways to connect with my family during these crazy days. If the weekdays and evenings are busy, I’ve got to make time on the weekend mornings, and the best way to do that is by having a relaxing breakfast together. Growing up, we were Bisquick people, but since my children have become pancake enthusiasts, we have experimented with several homemade recipes. One weekend morning, not too long ago, the girls decided to make the pancakes themselves, and since we were out of vanilla, they substituted almond extract. It was absolutely delicious, and we have never gone back! The following recipe is from one of my favorite blogs, Orangette. I changed only a couple minor things, as they are pretty much the perfect pancake. I also doubled the recipe, because they are so good that you need twice as many! They are the best served with real maple syrup and raspberries, which are a great match with the almond flavor. I have used sour cream of all varieties (full fat, reduced fat and fat free) and even plain Greek-style yogurt, and they have always come out very delicious. A morning meal together is a wonderful way to reconnect with the people who are most important to me!


Sour Cream Pancakes (slightly adapted from Orangette):

14 tbs. flour
3 tbs. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sour cream
4 eggs
1 tbsp. almond extract
Maple syrup and raspberries for serving

Wisk wet ingredients together well, then add dry ingredients.  Mix just until well-blended.  Batter will be thick.  Spoon onto a hot, greased non-stick skillet on medium heat and cook until bubbles appear.  Flip and cook on the other side.  Serve with syrup and fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment