Food is Love, Love is Food.

A blog devoted to the connection between meals, memories and the special moments in our lives.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

This Summer's Favorite Lunch: Egg Salad and Avocado Sandwich with Sliced Tomato

I have been back to work for six days now, have gotten a paycheck before students graced my classroom, so I really cannot complain.  I am a middle school teacher, and I am looking forward to the students' return, because it is much more fun to be working with them than it is to be preparing for them.  Yes, fun.  When I meet new people and the inevitable subject of what one does for a living comes up, I am often amused by the reaction of those people when they learn I teach 13 year olds.  The conversation typically goes something like this:

     "So, what is it that you do?"
     "I am a teacher."  (at this point, they smile at me because they are imagining that I work with young children in elementary school, and that is noble)
     "Oh, how nice.  What grade do you teach?"
     "I teach eighth grade English."  This is the point that I look forward to because the look of shock is just priceless.  Some fear for my sanity, some just try to get out of the conversation as quickly as possible. I laugh because they don't know what they are missing.  Kids at that age are certainly full of energy, and hormones, but they have wicked senses of humor, are appreciative of any kindness you show them, and can be the most fun people on the planet to spend time with.  I swear.

So my only complaint is that once I start back to school each Fall, my lifestyle goes through some changes.  I have to get used to getting up at 5:20 AM, have to become reaccustomed to the fact that restroom breaks are determined not by my body, but rather by the school schedule, and that my lunch has to be planned and teenager-friendly, as I may have students in my classroom when it is time to eat lunch.

So, my favorite lunch this summer is squarely off limits to me during the school year.  You see, I discovered a really great sandwich made with egg salad, onions,  avocado, and a thick slice of garden tomato.  I could eat this in school if I wanted to be the laughing stock of my students.  Remember all that good stuff I said about middle-schoolers?  That is true only for people who don't bring in weird and smelly lunches.  So I will have to relegate this yummy, open-faced sandwich to my weekends, and maybe add a piece of bacon to make up for the loss.

Egg Salad Sandwich with Avocado and Tomato:

1 thich slice multigrain bread, lightly toasted
2 hard boiled eggs (1 yolk removed)
1/4 avocado, cut into small chunks
1 tbsp. finely diced onion
2 slices tomato
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients except the bread and the tomato in a bowl.  Place the tomato slices on the toasted bread, then pile the egg salad on top of the tomatoes. Eat and enjoy without guilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment