Food is Love, Love is Food.

A blog devoted to the connection between meals, memories and the special moments in our lives.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Nectar(ines) of the Gods: Nectarine and Blueberry Crisp

My mother drove out to one of the orchards in town earlier this week and stumbled upon a basket of local nectarines marked 'seconds.'  She inquired about the fruit, and the cashier told her that the nectarines were not as smooth and beautiful as the fruit they sold at full price, but that they were still tasty.  A good sized basket with at least twenty pieces of fruit was just five dollars, so she bought them, and dropped half off at my house.  My daughters, undeterred by the irregular fruit, ate a few of them before I even got home that day.  Once I arrived, I banished all the fruit eaters, and wrapped them up to save for some weekend baking.  I do believe a few pieces of fruit were pilfered even then.  When I was cutting them up for the crisp I made on Sunday, I understood why.  These were the sweetest, tangiest, juiciest nectarines I have ever tasted.  I quickly threw together this crisp, throwing a few blueberries in for a little color and some more flavor.  We ate the whole thing for dessert tonight, and I called my mother after to let her know how delicious it was.  How else could I guarantee that she would drive to the orchards again to get me more nectarines?



For the Fruit:
About 8 medium peaches or nectarines, cut up
2/3 cup blueberries
juice of 1/4 lemon
2 tbsp. Instant tapioca
3 tbsp. brown sugar

For the Crisp Topping:
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter, melted

Mix the fruit and the next three ingredients in a 9 X 13 baking dish.  Toss well to mix. Mix oats and remaining ingredients together in a bowl, and then crumble over the fruit mixture.  Bake for 35-45 minutes at 350 degrees until crust is golden brown and fruit is bubbling.  Serve warm, preferable with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment